Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Broken Water Heater

Sunday night I went to the boys room to put Darek to bed. As I was walking in the hallway leading into the room, my socks became very wet. Opening the door to where the water heater was kept, I could plainly see that there was a leak. I text my Dad, who immediately came down and surveyed the damage. We put towels down, as there wasn't much else we could do that night. First thing yesterday morning, my amazing father replaced the water heater. But of course the water had already done it's damage in the hallway and also into the closet of the boys room. They had someone come in and take a look at the damage, take out the carpet padding, dry things out, etc. Well, it turns out it had been leaking for quite some time and the damage in the boys room was pretty bad. There was some mold that had started growing in the closet. Needless to say, it's a pretty big mess.

So for the next couple days, we will have some huge fans blowing. The boys room is off limits right now, which means we have a mattress and port-a-crib in our room. Alex loves the idea that he gets to sleep in our room. I don't mind him in there as much as I do with Darek. Darek still wakes up 1-2 times a night. Most of the time he is just awake and talks to himself. Well, that's fine in his own room where I don't have to hear it... but as it's been in the past, I wake up to every little noise either of my kids makes. And then it's really hard for me to fall back asleep. Oh well. It's just a couple nights. I'll make it through :)

Here are a few pics of the damage. If anything, we've been thinking a while about repainting the boys room, so this gives us an excuse now. Since Alex is the only one right now that cares about the theme, maybe he'll get it as a birthday present this year.

Hallway leading to the boys room... with the big fans blowing


Just inside the boys bedroom with the outside part of the closet ripped out


Inside the closet


More closet


Everything that was in the closet, now in the middle of the boys room


All the doors off their hinges

2 comments:

Holly said...

No fun at all! That EXACT same thing happened to us over the holidays. Andrew had to put in a new water heater and all. That guy on all the Questar commercials isn't lying, old water heaters leak! :)

Hope things are all dried out soon.

Beth and Chad said...

Yeah, NOT jealous. Have fun with that!