Friday, April 25, 2008

Crappy Customer Service

I had such an awful customer service experience today, I just need to vent about it. On my last entry, I let you know that we just ordered a great camcorder. Well, we did next day shipping because we are so excited to get it and start learning how to use it. I ordered the camcorder yesterday online and immediately got an email saying to call the company to confirm my order so they could get it shipped ASAP. So when I called the company yesterday, instead of confirming the order, they decided I needed to order a whole bunch of accessories that I absolutely needed. I told them I was not going to purchase any accessories at this time (Mostly because I was smart and did my research and knew they were way overcharging on their accessories) The guy was upset that I didn't order anything else. They told me there would be a 20% chance we would get the camcorder today but we would most likely get it Monday. That was fine with me.

But today when I didn't receive an email with my tracking number, I decided to call them so find out when it would be sent and get my tracking number. The first time I called, I was hung up on before even speaking to someone. The second person I got asked for my order number and then hung up on me. The third time I called, I got someone on the phone and begged them not to hang up on me. I explained the situation and asked when I should be getting my tracking number. He put me on hold without asking, so I had no clue what was going on. When he came back on the line he said that my camcorder was on back order and we would not be getting it for 1-2 weeks. I told them that was really bizarre because when I had ordered it online the previous day, it showed it was in stock. He said they just went out of stock yesterday and that I would have to wait. I asked him what would happen with my payment since I paid for next day shipping. He hung up on me. Luckily Alex was in the room with me, or I would have said several words that he should not hear. I called back AGAIN. This new guy told me the same thing and said that if I did not like the idea of waiting for my camcorder I could just cancel my order. Well, I did not want to chance not getting it before going on vacation, so I cancelled the order.

I have been online to their site since then and the same camcorder says it is in stock. I'm sure that because I did not order any accessories and it would end up costing them money, that their way to get "rid" of me and my order is to tell me it is out of stock. They are closed now for the day, but I am planning on calling on Monday to see if it "happens" to be in stock. If it is, I don't know what I'll do. I know I won't get it from them. I've already found another place that was selling it for the same price, and I've placed an order with them. But do I even bother making a complaint? Will it make any difference? It just makes me so angry to be treated so poorly. And to go from being so excited about getting the camcorder to just being annoyed with the whole process is very disheartening.

Alright, I'm done complaining. Sorry about the long story.

5 comments:

Holly said...

You just haven't had very good luck with mean people lately have you girl? I would definitely make a formal complaint. Perhaps it won't do anything, but chances are that complaint it will go to someone who is actually interested in customer service, and they need to be aware of how you were treated. You and I have both worked in cs call centers, and we know there is no excuse for that kind service. Glad you took your business elsewhere. I can't wait to see the new camcorder!

Tammy said...

I am with Holly you really need to call back and make a complaint. they should have never treated you like that. I am so glad that you were able to purchase it else where.

Anonymous said...

I'll tell you what you should do- amend your post, and include the name and contact information of the company that pulled this crap on you. That way you can save others from the same fate.

You should not bother filing a complaint with the company; that will be a waste of time. Instead, send a letter (ie, your blog entry) to the Utah Attorney General's Office of Consumer Affairs (or the Consumer Affairs office in the state in which the company is located). You probably won't get a response, but if this company is consistently fraudulent, then the Attorney General can fix it.

Patty R said...

That is ridiculous Mandi, I would call back and ask for a supervisor.

Clover said...

Actually, in Utah, you would have to send your complaint to the Division of Consumer Protection. The AG's office would just shuffle you over there. Here's the link: http://consumerprotection.utah.gov/enforcement/complaint.html