Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Surprised it took this long....

Alex had his first big fall yesterday at school. He was playing on the monkey bars and fell down from them. A yard duty came over and asked if he was okay. He said he was and got up to walk away. Well, he took 3 steps and fell to the ground crying. They took him to the office and called me. I was calm over the phone and said I would come get him. But as soon as I hung the phone up, panic sunk in. I jumped into the car and drove as fast as I could to the school. I knew that he was probably okay, but wanted to be with him right then. When I got there and walked in the school, he was sitting with his back to me inside the office. I could tell he had been crying, but had stopped.... until he saw me. He burst into tears and wrapped his arms around me. The yard duty had gone to his classroom and gotten all of his stuff, so we wouldn't have to do that. I carried him out to the car and drove home. I brought him inside and had him try to stand just to see how bad it was. He cried pretty hard when he put pressure on it. So off to the instacare we went. They took some x-rays of his foot, ankle, and leg. Everything came out normal. His foot wasn't really swollen, so it was really hard to tell what was going on. The doctor wrapped it in an ace bandage and told me to watch him. If it wasn't getting better by the end of today, then we'd probably need to see a pediatrician. Oh joy... Well, so far this morning, he has been able to put a bit more pressure on it, but can't fully stand on it yet. We'll see how the rest of the day goes. In the mean time, here are some "pitiful" pictures of Alex.




I'm just surprised that it took him this long to have a big fall. I'm sure that having boys, I will see a lot more of this kind of thing.

2 comments:

Holly said...

Oh, poor kid. I like how he's trying to look pitiful in that last one, but you can still see a silly smile creeping in. This will surely be a Thanksgiving not to be forgotten! Hope he's on the mend and running around soon (Will and Ben will miss playing with him until he is better).

Hayley Winslow said...

I'm so sorry. I hope he's ok. I'm kinda suprised that none of the kids have broken bones yet. I'm just glad it wasn't worse.