Saturday, November 8, 2008

Election

I wanted to wait a few days before posting about the election so I could "cool down" from all the things I've read since Obama won the election. I will try not to focus on those things, but rather, share a moment I had.

I DID vote for Obama, and not because it was the popular thing to do, but because I actually sat down and looked at over 200 important issues and how each candidate felt about them. I sided more with Obama (at 68%) than I did with McCain (at 50%).

When Obama won, I sat and watched McCain give his speech, which was absolutely wonderful. Then I waited for Obama to come out and give his speech. I was on the couch holding Darek when he walked on stage with his family. I got very emotional at that point because of what a special moment it was that I was able to witness. As he came out, I looked down at Darek and told him that he may not understand now but this was truly a great moment. To know that no matter who you are (race, gender, etc.), you can do anything you want to do in our country. I was very emotional throughout Obama's speech and thought he did an incredible job. I'm truly intrigued to see how he is as President. I am already excited about some of the actions he wants to take.

And just so I can get a little frustration out.... please, please, please, please research issues before you put false information out there. If I had listened to everyone talk about Obama, my opinions would have been so far off from what the truths were. One of the worst comments I've read so far was a reply to a comment that stated that it was ok that Obama was elected because everyone thinks he'll be assassinated anyway. It is unreal to me that there are still people out there that think like that. This kind of hatred should really not be tolerated.

Anyway, there are my two cents. Take it for what you'd like.

3 comments:

Holly said...

That is disgraceful that someone would be so ambivalent about a martyr of our president. Shows a complete lack of character!

Sometimes the candidates we like win, sometimes they loose, but regardless of the outcomes our country would be in a lot better place if we showed our Presidents more support and respect. Whether or not you agree with a candidate, when they are elected they are the leader of this country, and God bless those inviduals who are willing to take on a job where millions of people will constantly blame you for their daily problems.
No, we don't agree with everything our presidents do, and we have that right to speak out, but there is a appropriate way of protesting, and there is an infantile way (which seems to be the norm these days). Acting like a 2 year old having a temper tantrum won't get anything accomplished.

And there's my two cents! Thanks Mandi for your great post!

Karen said...

I appreciated your thoughtful views about the election and I respect your opinion. I agree that there's far too much hate, anger and falsehoods out there and we really do need to unite as a country and people and even though we may not always agree on policies, I think most of us agree on principles.

I know I will pray for our new president and other leaders and give them the respect and honor their offices deserve.

No matter who you supported for president, it's an historic and wonderful day when the first African-American is elected President of the United States. What a great country we live in.

Hayley Winslow said...

I am a firm believer in supporting those in office. No matter who the Pres. is, we still live in America. We are still free to choose how to live our lives. We have checks and balances to ensure our leaders are not going to be dictators and that the laws they support are really laws that the people want to put in place. I agree with you. People need to get facts straight before making STUPID comments. Besides that, can anyone who opposed Obama look at the amazing historic event that just took place? 60 years ago anyone with black skin were still spit upon. Look how far we've come to vote an African American. And yes people, he is American.