Friday, July 11, 2008

A Thoughtful Time

I love my new job more than I could have imagined. My co-workers are amazing, and the job itself is better than I could have hoped for. But it is also very difficult as I expected it might be. When I went in for my interview, I was able to sit in a lobby for 10-15 mins and just watch people come in and out of the hospital. (Just as a reminder, I got a job at Primary Children's Medical Center) Just in those few minutes, I saw some amazing children come in and out. Some who were without a limb, some who obviously were there for some kind of cancer treatment, and various others. I was almost in tears just watching them and admiring the strength they have.

In my first week, there were a few patients that passed away. Now while I usually don't deal with the serious cases very often, I still pass by those kids and come to know who they are. It was very difficult to hear and deal with these patients death's. I can only imagine what their families are going through.

With the sadness, there is happiness also. I have heard so many stories from my co-workers of children that come in not expecting to make it through the day, but somehow they pull through it all and leave healthy. I go into these children's rooms and find smiling faces. Being at the hospital and seeing these amazing kids has given me a little different attitude than I had before. I love Alex more than anything, of course, but I think I have been a little more understanding with him this past week. I've really tried to focus more on really enjoying the time I have with him and making the best of everything. We don't know what our plan is, and things can be taken from us with little or no warning.

I am so grateful for this day and age we live in, that we have so many advances in health care. To know that serious diseases can be cured. It is truly a miracle. I am so blessed to have a healthy child! I have become very grateful for that blessing this past week.

Anyway, I don't mean to upset or depress anyone, but I really felt it was important to share the experiences that I've had.

2 comments:

em said...

that's so great you're loving your job!

Stevens said...

Hi Mandi,
It sounds like your job is going great and that you are learning a lot about life from it. That is awesome!! I'm so glad it worked out for you. Alex is a lucky boy to have such a great mom (and as Ben would add, to have so many great toys!!)
Jennie