Saturday, July 5, 2008

Girls Camp at Piuta

I am a Laurel advisor in Young Womens in our ward. So I was extremely excited at the thought of being able to attend girls camp this year. Normally work would be in the way, or something would prevent me from going, but I was determined to go! And I am so glad I did.
This was the first year I have been to girls camp since I was a Laurel.... so about 10 years ago. WOW! I remember camp being so fun and so spiritual, and couldn't wait to spend those fun and spiritual moments with the girls in my ward.

I left around 9:30 Monday morning with Tammy and Kaylene. We were able to get up there before the other wards and before the rest of our girls got there. We got camp all set up, picked out our bunks, then sat and waited for our girls to arrive.

I won't go into tons of details, but we had some of the most amazing speakers. One described her early childhood in Indonesia and her family being forced into a prison camp during WWII. Her story was both heartbreaking and touching. It amazes me the things that people are put through and then actually survive. I can only imagine the courage and strength it would take.

One of my favorite moments was taking the girls "Snipe hunting". Most of them had never been. The older girls were aware of the hoax, but the younger ones were excited (and a little scared) to go. I am a little brutal with snipes, and a few of the girls were horrified that I could be so cruel. In fact, my award at the end of camp was "vicious snipe hunter". I think it will be a time they will remember :) Thanks girls for putting up with me!!

All in all, camp was a wonderful experience. I will be making up for lack of sleep for a while, but it was all worth it. Here are some pictures from camp.

This was our waiting room (campfire pit) and pharmacy (crafts, food, etc.). Our ward was the cardiac crew, so we decorated accordingly.

This was one of our cabins. Some of our Miamaids and all the beehives stayed in this cabin.

This was our other cabin. I stayed in here with the Laurels and a few Miamaids. We were the party cabin. And the girls in my cabin were responsible for most of the pranks that were pulled. :)

A few of our girls after arriving to camp. We all got matching scrubs, which was really fun. We also got name badges with our Doctor name on them. I was Dr. Bugg.

The rest of these are pictures of some of the girls and leaders.

I had to include this last picture just to show off the background. We were up in the Uintas and the surroundings were gorgeous. But it was really hard going back to mid 90 degree Salt Lake weather from the mid 70 degree weather we had at camp.

I'm already looking forward to next year!

1 comment:

Patty R said...

How fun, I remember Young Women's camp, it was some of my favorite memories. How fun that you got to go!