Saturday, September 20, 2008

So Grateful

I just got off the phone with the NICU in Virginia. Even though this may not seem huge, it's huge to me. The nurse was telling me that Ian is only DAYS away from getting off the ventilator!! He is doing so well with the changes they've made that it really looks like it will be very soon! It is such a relief to me! The only thing after that will be getting him to eat. That can take a matter of weeks, or a few months. It all depends on how well Ian takes to it. And there is absolutely no way for anyone to know how well he'll do since he has never tried to eat on his own before. So once he is off the vent and they start the feeds, they'll have a better idea of a discharge date. And it's at that point that we will try to determine if it's better for him to be transferred here or just remain there and have me come get him. I'm just so happy!

On a side note, I want to express to my amazing husband, Ryan, how much I love him and how much he means to me. He has taken on so much in the past couple weeks with work and school and has not once complained to me about it. He loves his boys so much! And I know how much he loves me as well. I don't know what I did to deserve such an amazing man. One that I can talk to, cry with, and play with. He is my perfect match and my best friend. I love you so much Ryan!

2 comments:

Beth and Chad said...

Yea, the sooner the better! I am so happy that he is making so much progress! We'll be praying a lot (still) for him to come home soon!

Anonymous said...

Mandi, That is wonderful news. I am sure it was your presence and that of your brother that gave him the drive. Baby's know when their is someone who loves them and near them, even if they sleep through it. You gave him the reason to live.

On the note of the feeding thing. Why not bring him home tube fed and you teach him to eat, even if as an out patient? When he is home, he will move forward so much more quickly. Just like Darek did. I am happy to hear he is making big strides on getting home :). I think your news was BIG!.