Friday, September 5, 2008

HOME!!

Well, after a very long day yesterday, I am home!



I went to see Ian at the hospital at 9:00 yesterday morning. A few updates on him....

Ian was having a very difficult time on Wednesday. While I was there, he "crashed" twice. What happens is he has a lot of "gunk" in his left lung and it gets stuck in his airway quite often. So when that happens, all his stats drop down to almost nothing. It was AWFUL watching that happen to my sweet little guy, and extremely scary. Well, after they discussed what was happening, they decided to put him on albuterol to see if that would help. IT DID!! Or at least it has so far. He hasn't "crashed" once since they put him on it. So he's now going to be able to start working his way off that vent. We really don't have any idea how long he will be in the hospital. Saying goodbye to him yesterday was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I know that me being home is the best thing for our family right now. I've had a few people give me a hard time about choosing to come home, which does not make things any easier for me. But I know Ian is being looked after by some of the best nurses. And I know he'll come home soon!



Darek was able to go to the doctor on Tuesday for a checkup. He is doing great! Everything looks wonderful with him. He is weighing in now at 4 lbs 6 oz. and is 17 inches long. While I was in the Houston airport yesterday, I had so many people stopping me asking about how big he was and how old he is. It's funny when I tell them he's only 2 months old. He traveled very well, especially for having a 4 hour layover in Houston. Stepping off the airplane in SLC was the best feeling!


We met Papa, Grandma and big brother Alex at the airport at 11:45 pm. Grandma starting crying and Alex had the biggest smile on his face. Of course, I couldn't contain myself either. The sight of seeing my big boy was wonderful!!! But holding a 4 lb. child in my arm really made me realize how big Alex is. Grandma got to hold Darek while Papa got my bags. Alex was a little nervous, but just beamed at his little brother. He didn't want to hold him right away. But by the time we were leaving the airport, he let us know he was ready. We found a chair for him to sit down and he was perfect holding his brother. It was a sight I have been waiting to see for 4 years. (Oh, and just so you know, the reason Ryan wasn't there is because he just started a new job working graveyard shifts and was working that night )

Life has been a little crazy with lots of friends and family dying to see Darek and waiting for Ian to get home. But it has been so much fun getting into being a Mom of babies again. (That, and getting all the cute little baby clothes and accessories!!) But we are so grateful to have these little boys in our lives. They have already affected so many people in the short while they've been alive.

2 comments:

Holly said...

It still makes me emotional. Miracle, after miracle, after miracle! I am so happy for you!

Anonymous said...

We are so glad you got home safely. Maya and Avery ask frequently when you and Darek are coming back. We are holding onto a couple things we found after you left (a bottle lid and burp cloth). You got a dr. appt reminder in the mail for Darek, so let me know if you want the phone number so that you can cancel. My email is hunter-holmes@hotmail.com Thanks for touching our lives for good!