Monday, June 16, 2008

Follow up to Happy Son's Day

Let me just start by saying that my son is a little too clever for only being 5 years old.

As I mentioned, we celebrated Son's Day this past week. We were going to do it Friday, but it worked out that we could do it on Thursday. I took Alex down to the store so he could show me the present he wanted for Son's Day. Surprise, surprise... it was a nerf gun. So we sat in the isle picking out the perfect (and most affordable) nerf gun for him. The look on his face was so cute when we finally decided on the gun. As I handed it to him, I told him Happy Son's Day and gave him a huge hug and kiss. I let him hold it as we finished our shopping. Then our plan was to go eat that evening after Daddy got home. I paid for his present, and we started out to the parking lot. As we walked out the store, Alex turned to me and said, "Mom, it's not really Son's Day. That was just an April Fools. I just wanted the present." At this moment, I wanted to laugh, cry, (maybe strangle him a bit... okay, not really... but maybe a little). I was just heartbroken. Here, I thought this was a special moment between us. But I really have to give him credit. He waited until after we bought the toy and were out of the store before saying anything, and he was being honest. Son's Day was just a "made up" holiday. Very smart. But I was not going to give in. I turned back to him and said, "Well, if there isn't a Son's Day, then we have to go return your present." Alex then tried to reason with me that he still really needed the gun, but it wasn't really Son's Day. I started walking back to the store to return the gift and with a sad little look on his face, he gave me a hug, told me he was sorry and said that it could be Son's Day. I was still hurt, but I told him I loved him and we went on with our celebration.


It's times like these that I realize how big Alex is and that he really does have a mind of his own. And boy does he use that brain of his! But these are the moments I will remember and cherish. I love you Alex! You have brought more love and joy to my life than I will ever deserve!

2 comments:

Patty R said...

This story is so cute. Sneaky little Alex, lol :)

Holly said...

This is my new favorite story. Alex totally cracks me up! Love you guys! See you TOMORROW!!!