Tuesday, July 7, 2009

NILMDTS - Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep

For those who have never heard of this program, you should read up on it. It's a very inspired program and one that has touched our lives. I'm not sure if I mentioned in previous posts, but when we were told that Ian was going to die, we asked if we could get back there before he passed away. When we were told no, we were very concerned in getting someone to the hospital that we knew and could trust with our baby. Of course, the wonderful people we stayed with were more than willing. But one thing that never occurred to me was to have someone there to take pictures of our baby before he died. Luckily, our social worker mentioned this wonderful program called Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep. Volunteer photographers are "on call" when a situation like this arises. They get to the hospital (or home) and take pictures of a baby who has passed away or will soon. Jessica Riehl is the name of our photographer. She was absolutely amazing and stayed there with Ian, our friends, the nurses and doctors throughout the whole process so that we would be able to have pictures of our beautiful baby.

A few months ago, I was contacted by Jessica and a journalist with the Virginia Pilot that would be doing an article about NILMDTS. I was interviewed and asked if they could use a photo of Ian. Of course I agreed. I have been looking for that article since it came out, but could not find it. But I finally did locate it through Jessica's blog. If you would like to read the article, click here. Hopefully it'll work.

3 comments:

Hayley Winslow said...

Yeah, it worked. I cried. You'd think that after so many times thinking about what happened and knowing the details, I wouldn't cry so much, but I do. I'm so glad that woman was there to photograph Ian and that Pam was there to be with him. He was a special little boy and I'm glad he's being remembered by a lot of people.

Koreena said...

That was so special. I didn't know that was where you got those beautiful pictures from. Thanks for sharing that link. What a great program.

Ryan and Mandi said...

It really is amazing! I wish I was a better photographer just so I could volunteer. I want to give back after what I've been given.