Monday, July 13, 2009

Camping Trip

We went on a wonderful camping trip with our awesome friends Reese, Tammy and Kaylene Nielsen this weekend. We had the BEST time! I used to camp quite a bit when I was younger, but haven't found the time (or had any of the equipment necessary) to go recently. The last time Ryan and I went was when Alex was less than a year old. We left him with my parents and went for a night. So this was our first camping trip in 5 years and it was Alex and Darek's very first trip.

We went up Friday after Ryan got home from clinicals. We really enjoyed the beautiful trip up there and got our tent set up without much trouble. We were all sitting around talking and we heard a crashing noise on the highway. Through the trees we couldn't really see what happened, but when cars were stopping along the highway, Ryan decided he'd go up there and see what was going on. After he didn't come back for a long time, Kaylene and I decided we'd go see where he was. Turns out a motorcyclist lost control coming down the hill and flew off his bike. When I got up there, they were a lot of people surrounding him doing compressions on him. We were across the street, so we couldn't actually see him (which was probably good). We kept our distance. They ended up shutting down traffic to fly life flight in. Sadly, it was too late. It was a very sad incident and got us talking that night about life and how quickly it can be taken away. We ended up having a really nice chat while we had our smores. We then went to bed so I wouldn't have a meltdown from Darek.

Saturday was a really relaxing and fun day. We played a lot of games. We introduced Farkle to the Nielsens and it became a favorite instantly! We even got Reese to play with us. :) Ryan and I took the boys on a drive up around Strawberry Reservoir. It was a beautiful drive. Alex and I enjoyed getting out to go 'touch the water'. We ended up playing more games after we got back and had fun riding bikes and scooters. A few went on a small hike. Overall, just a really wonderful day!

Sunday morning we got up and cleaned up camp, took the tent down and all packed up. After that was done, we made pancakes and bacon for breakfast. After cleaning up breakfast we all sat down to play one more game of Farkle before hitting the road. Ryan and I took Immigration Canyon home which was a really nice detour. The boys slept most of the way home so Ryan and I enjoyed talking and reflecting.

This was one of those weekends when I can't help but think what a wonderful and blessed life I have. We have such wonderful friends that we love and love us. I have the most wonderful little family. Alex and Darek are the best little boys. For this being their first camping trip, they were both amazing! Both of them were in their element. I think they would both be content living outdoors. And it was so nice to have that extra time with Ryan. I love talking to him and just being with him. Needless to say, after such a wonderful weekend, we will be going again in a month.... and I can't wait!












No comments: