Monday, January 31, 2011

Funny Moments

Just a few funny moments of the day that I wanted to write on my blog so I don't forget...

I took Darek to the doctor this afternoon to see if he just has his usual cold or if it was something more that needed to be addressed. The doctor came in and looked at him. He said that Darek has a sinus infection. Yay. So he prescribed the medicine and then asked if I wanted to get flu shots for the boys. I figured I might as well. Alex was not happy with me and I don't think he thought I would really go through with it and make him get a shot that he "didn't need". After I went and paid for it, he I knew I meant it. So when the nurse came in and asked who was first, my "brave" little Alex pointed to Darek and said, "HIM!!!" And before the nurse had come in, Alex had started freaking out about how much it was going to hurt, so he got Darek all upset and worried about it. We laid Darek on the table and after the shot it took about 10 seconds (and a popsicle) to have him calmed down. Then came Alex's turn. You would've thought he was the 2 year old... only he is much harder to control. He kept pulling his jeans back on and crying. Finally the nurse held his shoulders and looked at him. She calmly told him that if he jerked and moved that it would only hurt more. She told him that the needle wouldn't hurt, but the medicine going in would hurt just a little. She got him so calm that he was able to watch her poke him with the needle. She held the needle in for a minute to show that it didn't hurt, then slowly pushed the medicine in. He started to freak a little and she just told him to breathe through it. He started taking deep breaths and breathed right through it, watching the whole time. I think I may have been freaking out more than he did at that point, because it looked like torture. She pulled the needle out quickly and he started laughing. Then he exclaimed, "I feel so stupid now!!" Alex can definitely overreact. He's actually become really good at it now. We've seen him do it before going on roller coasters (well just about any ride really), pulling his teeth, just to name a few. It's what makes Alex, Alex. And we love him for it. I'm glad that he can at least recognize afterward when he has over reacted. It doesn't help us beforehand or even for the next occasion, but at least he'll apologize afterward.

And speaking of pulling teeth... We have been working on a tooth for the last couple days. It has been ready to fall out, but of course Alex freaks any time we mention pulling it. So last night I told him that this tooth was to be out of his mouth by the end of the week. Tonight at dinner, he got really quiet. I was about to ask him what was wrong, when he jumped out of his seat and yelled, "I pulled my tooth out!!!!" He was so excited that he did it himself and was especially excited that it didn't even hurt! So after he got the tooth out, he looked at me and said, "Mom, this has been one of the best days ever." Who would've guessed that getting a flu shot and having a tooth pulled out would make for the best day ever? Now I know the secret. :)

Kids sure keep life interesting. Just as I'm getting the boys tucked in and ready to say prayers tonight, Darek vomited all over. He's really good with timing. I told Ryan we need to keep a stockpile of carpet cleaners and probably invest in a good steam cleaner. Poor little dude. I hope the medication helps and he gets better very soon.

Now I'm gonna sit down with Ryan, eat some ice cream and watch an episode of The O.C. Yay for guilty pleasures!

No comments: