Monday, August 24, 2009

First Day of 1st Grade

My my, what an interesting morning. Alex was pretty nervous and also quite excited. He woke up on his own around 7:45. We sat on the couch and just chatted about today. He got dressed, but was a little too nervous for breakfast. I made him eat a piece of bread... which he didn't really eat. And then he supervised me as I packed his first school lunch. Turkey and cheese sandwich cut into 3 pieces (1 half and two quarters... don't ask me why), strawberry applesauce, toy story fruit snacks, nutter butter snacks and an orange soda. We got his backpack out and put his lunch inside. As he put his backpack on, we saw that one of the pieces on it had broke. It is fixable, but we didn't have time this morning. I'll work on that tonight. He went with a Bakugan theme for his backpack and lunch box this year. Big surprise :) We headed out the door about 10 minutes before school started. We got to the school to find what seemed like a billion other kids and found the line he should be in. We said hi to a few of his kindergarten buddies, several of which are in his class. We got in line right at the end and waited for his teacher, Mrs. Beal, to come out. She came out and started to lead the kids in. I said goodbye to Alex, kissed him and watched him go inside. I was totally choking up and desperately tried to hold back the tears. I was somewhat successful. After all the kids went inside, I decided I'd go in to see if I could get a picture of him at his desk. I peeked in his class and looked to find that his chair was the only empty one. Panic set in. I looked over and over... nope, not in his class. I notified his teacher and started searching through the rest of the classes. He was not in any of the 1st grade classes. By this time I really started worrying. I was sure he was somewhere in the school. Before too long, another parent brought him down and said he had got mixed in with a 2nd grade class and was in her son's seat. I gave Alex a HUGE hug and asked him if he was okay. He was so close to tears, so I told him everything was just fine and showed him where to put his backpack. I gave him one last hug and took him in his class. I'm sure the rest of the day will be just fine and go much smoother. I just feel so bad because I'm sure he was embarrassed and a little scared. It's so hard to see your kids sad and upset. I love my boy and am so proud of him. Ryan gave him a beautiful blessing last night and it made reminded me how lucky I am to be blessed with such a sweet little boy.




3 comments:

Koreena said...

I'm glad he didn't stay lost for long. Poor kid. I'm sure he'll have fun the rest of the day!

Ryan and Mandi said...

He did. He was so giddy when I picked him up from school today. It was so cute. He loves his teacher and has a ton of friends already from Kindergarten and church. I'm sure it'll be a great year!

Tammy said...

That is such a sad story, but I am glad it turned out ok. I'm not sure who I was the saddest for you or him. But I remember those days and I was a mess when reese Jay and Kaylene started first grade. It's such a big step. But I am so glad that the both of you made it throught the day ok!!!