Tuesday, February 10, 2015

A Little Update

It seems like a lot of time passes between posts, so just want to update on how everything is going in our family.

Darek - Is a spunky little 6 1/2 year old and 1st grader.  He loves school, friends, learning, playing, food and just about everything else.  He goes a million miles a minute and I wouldn't change him for the world.  He is a mama's boy still.  I love when he will come cuddle with me on my bed and we can just lay there and chat.  He is learning to read and doing an amazing job at it!  He is also doing very well with math.  I'm not a fan of his teacher this year at all, since she never seems to have anything nice to say about Darek, but for some reason he seems to like her.  He loves everything Ninja Turtle still.  He looks up to his brother so much and one of his favorite past times is to wrestle with him.  I have no idea how we've gone this long without either one of them breaking bones or needing stitches (knock on wood).  He is a sweet little boy and has an extremely strong spirit.

Alex - Is a chill almost 12 year old, 6th grader.  I can't believe I almost have a 12 year old.  Alex loves hanging out with friends and video games.  There are other things he enjoys, but those are his top 2.  He is most definitely turning into a pre-teen.  He is such a good kid, that I really can't complain.  But I hear a lot more from him now when he's not agreeing with something we've decided on.  Alex is still so smart.  He hardly ever needs help with any homework or assignments. He's been put into a higher math and always has near perfect report cards.  As good looking as the kid is, you'd think he'd have a "girlfriend".  Although he might like a girl, he is very shy and also knows better than talking to his mom about it (since I tease him).  But I'm totally fine with it.  I don't want a girl taking over his life yet.  :)  Alex is navigating a lot more towards his Dad lately.  They have a lot in common and sit and talk about video games and other things.  It makes me happy for Ryan, but sad for me.  I'm losing my little boy a little.  :(  Alex can't wait to turn 12 in a month.  All of his friends have graduated from primary and feels very alone in there now.  I've arranged so he can go to the Sunday school class with his friends instead of staying in his primary class the rest of the year.  He is thrilled!

Ryan - Is amazing!  He has really fit in well at LDS Hospital.  He has moved his way up in X-ray and is really appreciated and respected there.  Currently he is the Clinical Instructor there, so all the new students in x-ray go to him to be taught.  He is really loving that position and his students really like him.  He fills in for the supervisor when she is not there.  Honestly, he is probably a shoe in to become supervisor, if his were to ever leave.  Both his supervisor and manager have told him they'd be happy to mentor him if he would like to start the path to moving up the ladder.  I am always amazed with him and am so proud of him.  Ryan was called to be the 1st counselor in the Elders Quorum a few months ago.  We have a very small Elders Quorum, but he is enjoying the position.

Me - I think the last time I did an update I was still doing daycare and was just getting a new calling.  I am currently working as an office manager for a small company in West Bountiful.  Right now, I am the only office person, but will be hiring someone soon to come help me as we will be hitting our busy time soon.  I enjoy the job, the flexibility and the fact that it's only a 5 minute drive from my house.  I will be hitting my year here in about a month.  Crazy!  My 'new' calling was being put in as the 1st counselor in the primary presidency.  In May I will have been in this calling for 2 years.  I think this has been my favorite calling so far. I love being able to know all of the kids in primary and teach them.  I love what this calling has done for my personal testimony.  I have been able to learn so much from these kids.  And I'm always amazed at how knowledgeable they are.  I also love the women that I serve with.  They are such great examples to me.  It will be very hard to leave this calling.  I am still serving on the PTA board.  And for some crazy reason, I've signed up to be on the board next year.  I really enjoy it, but with working, I feel like I'm not able to give the time I want to give.  Speaking of working... because I wasn't working enough, I decided to start teaching piano.  It's been hard on my schedule, but I have really enjoyed all the students I have.  I have some very talented kids and I'm excited to see where this goes!

On top of our crazy lives, we've started working on our basement.  We have two very large rooms to finish down there and eventually finish off a storage area.  We are hoping to get it done by June.  Maybe sooner, but we'll see.  I can't wait to have the extra space!

I'm in the middle of another very LONG post that I will probably publish on Thursday, so this will have to due for now.  :)

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Glad to hear everyone is doing well, Mandi! Happy to see an update from you (you're still in my feed for just this reason)

Ryan and Mandi said...

Thanks for the comment Jenn! I'm going to try and be a little better now. I miss posting. It's quite theraputic! :)