Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Grand Canyon... It Really Is Pretty Grand

So our summer had been planned with several cool trips... most of them didn't work out because of unexpected financial issues. But we were still able to go to the Grand Canyon. I have never been and I have to say that I was not thrilled about going to the Grand Canyon. It seemed like it was going to be pretty boring... ugly drive through Arizona, looking out at canyon and then a boring trip back. I wasn't all that impressed at the idea and could only think of how dumb it would be. I was more wrong then I could have ever imagined.

The drive was actually pretty amazing, once you got past the desert part. It actually turned into a beautiful forested area and lots of amazing little meadows. I had no idea there was any part of Arizona that looked like that! :) I was glued to my surroundings as we drove through. As we got closer, it was hard to imagine that this would just end as a huge cliff into the Grand Canyon. But finally it did. Now I've seen many, many pictures of the Grand Canyon before and it really didn't look all that special. Nothing can prepare you for seeing it in person. There is no way to really describe it, but to do my best, I've come up with a list of words I would use. I've also asked the kids to describe it. :)

Magnificent
Beautiful
Majestic
Breathtaking
Incredible
Nerve wracking
Picturesque - Seriously! Most of the time I felt like I was looking out at a painting. It was hard to believe it was real... until you looked down. ;)

High
Awesome
Scary
Fun
Cool
Awesomest thing I've ever seen!

It was so, so scary on the mountain. It was very cool. I liked to walk. I was going to get hurt.

I love kids interpretations and memories of places. I hope they remember something about it. I kinda doubt it with Darek, but I'm sure Alex will have some great memories of the trip. But, as always, here are some of our pictures.

















Honestly, this is a trip I will most definitely want to do again! I love trips like these. And although we didn't get to go to Yellowstone like we had planned, it will be a trip that we will do in the future. I love trips to Disneyland, but they all seem to mesh together as far as memories go... because we go so often. It's nice to experience something new with my kids and make those lasting memories.


No comments: