Sunday, July 18, 2010

Some Alex Moments

Today had a few really fun (and brutally honest) moments with Alex. I wanted to jot them down before I forgot.

This morning as we're watching cartoons on the couch.

Alex: "Mom, I really hate that most cartoon people only have four fingers. It really freaks me out!"

It was so random, yet something I know most people have thought about at some point in their life. It was just a funny, entertaining moment. :)

The next one came this afternoon. I picked Alex up from a birthday party and told him we were going to get Subway for lunch. We get coupons for Subway every time we go to a Salt Lake Real game. So I thought it was a good time to use them. We ended up getting 5 - 6 inch subs and 2 32 oz. drinks. Normally that would come to around $25.00-30.00. After giving them my coupons and finding out I had enough Subway points for another free 6 inch, the total came to $12.00. I was thrilled! I love getting great deals like that. So we got in the car and started driving home. I was babbling on to Alex about the great deal we had just gotten and how much money we had saved. After a few seconds of silence...
Alex: "Mom, can I ask you something?"
Me: "Sure."
Alex: "Okay, but I really don't want you to get mad at me, and I really think you will."
Me: "It's okay buddy, I promise I won't get mad at you."
Alex: Hesitates for a minute.
Me: "Alex, just say it."
Alex: "Okay. Mom, I really don't care about saving money. I'm just not interested in it at all. So can you please not talk about it to me anymore?"
Me: I really want to get angry at him, but wonder why I would. What kid cares about how much money was saved buying lunch? It sure isn't anything I would have cared about as a kid. With no reason to be mad, I chuckle. "No problem bud. I totally understand how boring it must be for you. Mommy just gets really excited about saving money and wants to talk about it. I'll make sure next time not to say anything to you about it."
Alex: "Thanks Mom."

Every time I replay it in my mind, I want to laugh out loud. He was so sweet and polite about it. I'm glad I didn't let the first emotions get the best of me. I would have really regretted that later. Funny, funny kid. I love the way that little mind of his works. :)

2 comments:

Tammy said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the money story. It cracks me up. Just remember next time you save a bunch of money call me you know how I love to save money! I got your back friend!!!!

Stevens said...

Very cute of Alex!! I'm just wondering if he's like Ben, how many of the things he talks about are interesting to you! I find myself saying, Ok, listen, ok listen. Most of the time I say the wrong comment back and he just looks at me like I'm crazy!!