Friday, June 5, 2009

A Perfect Day

Yesterday was about as perfect as they come.

I started the day with my boys and my 2 little girls I babysit. I decided that since it was the girls last day that I wanted to do something special for them. When they got here, I packed the diaper bag while they played outside for a few minutes. Our next door neighbor boy came over and played as well. When it was time for us to go, I hated sending him home, so I told him to ask his Mom if he could come with us to Kangaroo Zoo. All the kids went with him next door to "help" asking his Mom. She said yes, so off we went. We spent almost 2 hours at Kangaroo Zoo and the kids had a BLAST! While I was there, Ryan called me to let me know that he would be able to get off school early and come to Alex's kindergarten graduation! I could tell he was thrilled about it and I was so happy that he wouldn't have to miss it. We left Kangaroo Zoo and walked down to East Coast subs where we got some lunch. After that, I took Alex to school, dropped the girls off to their Mom and took our neighbor boy home.

I got home and Ryan and I got ready to go back to the school for graduation. The graduation was so cute! They had these cute paper graduation hats on. They came in and sat down. Yes I got a little emotional, but was proud of myself for holding it together. The kids got up in groups and did puppet shows for some of the books they've read throughout the year. Alex did Goldilocks and the Three Bears. He was Papa Bear. They were really cute puppet shows and you could tell the kids loved "performing" them. The cutest thing about the puppet show was after it was over the kids came out and bowed. Alex put his hand across his stomach and took his bow. So professional. (That was one of those times I almost lost it and cried.) After the puppet shows were over, the kids sat down and waited for their name to be called to go get their graduation certificates. It was so sweet seeing all those kids go up there. Alex was second to last to get his certificate. Then we were able to get pictures of all the kids sitting together. It was a great little program and we enjoyed every minute of it. I have loved volunteering in his class this year and love all those sweet kids. Hopefully we'll have some great summer play dates!

After graduation was over, we told Alex that it was his day and he could choose where we would go eat. And we told him he could choose anywhere (within reason). Of course his first choice was to eat at the Blue Bayou in Disneyland... but we told him a trip to California to eat wouldn't really work right now :) So he started naming things like McDonalds and Su Casa. We again emphasized that he could go anywhere, but he wasn't catching on to what we were talking about. Finally Ryan said, "Okay well if he wants to go to Su Casa and not Chuck E Cheese, that's his decision." Well of course Alex changed his mind immediately. We went home and printed off some coupons and headed off to Chuck E Cheese. When we got there, the place was practically empty. We ordered our food and got our tokens. Ryan and Alex went off to play while I sat at the table with Darek and watched everyone. Ryan was playing a particular game that had a jackpot of 250 tickets. To give you an idea... when we go, we usually end up with around 1000 tickets total and get a few decent prizes. Well right off, Ryan hit that jackpot TWICE!! So of course I had to go and have my try at it. Overall, Ryan hit it 4 times and I hit it twice. Not too shabby! But we had a great time playing all the games and were there for about 2 hours. I think Ryan and I enjoy that place as much as Alex does. We ended up with 3031 tickets!!! We were pretty excited at the idea of the prizes we would get. After looking, we decided to get Pirates of the Caribbean Scene It game to play together as a family. We still had 1031 tickets left and let Alex decide what to do with those.

While we were at Chuck E Cheese, my parents had called and said that Ryan's test scores for his limited licence had arrived in the mail and asked if we would like them to drop it off on their way to Ogden. When Ryan had finished these tests, he didn't feel great about them and wasn't expecting any spectacular scores. Lets just say... he was wrong. He had taken 6 seperate tests. I wish I had it in front of me so I knew what each was for. His lowest score was 85% which a test that he got 17/20 questions. He thought he had totally bombed that test. Most of the tests were 20-25 questions, so missing even one answer takes his % down a lot. But his other scores were 92%, 95%, 100%, 100% and on the big test which was 100 questions he got 99%, missing only one question! I have an amazing and brilliant husband. I am so proud of his abilities. Not only is he one of the funniest, sweetest and loving people I know, but he is so smart. He has never used his brilliance as a "one up" on people. In fact, many people don't know just how smart he is. And he would NEVER post anything like I am now. But I want him to know how proud I am of him. The fact that he can work full time (with his crazy night schedule), go to school full time and still get these kind of scores. I am truly in awe.

After we got home, we were deciding what to do. We had Darek on the floor playing with some toys. Well, wouldn't ya know... he crawled. He took about 3 crawls forward and amazingly both Ryan and I were able to witness it. He hasn't done it again since, but I know he'll be going like crazy within a week!

We decided to play our new Pirates game that we had won with our tickets. It was a lot of fun and even though it said for players 13 and up, Alex did really well. (Couldn't have anything to do with loving and watching the Pirates movies A LOT!)

I needed to return some Redbox movies and decided it would be a good time to go on a slurpee run. I went and picked up my friend Tammy and went to get our slurpees. Even though it was just a few minutes in the car, I had a great time chatting with her. After I got home, Ryan and I got the boys to bed and ended the day watching a movie together, cuddling and falling asleep in each others arms.

So... Kangaroo Zoo, Kindergarten Graduation, Chuck E Cheese, Great Prizes, Ryan's Amazing Test Scores, Darek Crawling for the first time, Family Game, Slurpees, Girl Talk, Movie and Bed. Yeah, I'd say that yesterday was about as perfect as they come!

1 comment:

Stevens said...

Wow Mandi! You couldn't ask for much more. I'm glad everything went so well. Have a wonderful summer!